Sunday, March 16, 2014

Almost done with our Berlin-Potsdam-Hamburg tour and I am worn out. My legs already tell me no when I wake up in the morning but the long walks are worth it!! I have seen everything on my list except for a few things we must pack in tomorrow. Hamburg was awesome, the train ride showed a beautiful countryside much like Tennessee except the land was completely flat. Hamburg itself was quite hilly compared to flat Berlin. I noticed several differences between the two, most notably the food (fish in Hamburg), canals, and it seems as if fewer Germans in Hamburg speak English. We went to a few churches in Hamburg and saw the top of St. Michael's on an extremely windy day but worth it! Saw Bergedorfer castle in the quaint district of Bergedorf. Ate plenty of Herring which all Germans will tell you is good for a hangover. That's the first thing most think of when they hear the word, it seems. Those train rides can really put me to sleep, opposite if an airplane, and I took a nice nap on our way home yesterday evening. Just got back from long walks in this cold, wet, and gloomy weather. Saw more of the wall, it is so different to see how it really was when most people, including myself, believed the wall to be much elaborate as it actually was. Said goodbye to our awesome guide and Berlin native, Stefano, and went to the German History Museum, Tiergarten, Brandenburg Gate, the victory memorial of the Franco-Prussian War, and the Soviet WWII memorial in the former Soviet occupied district. Tiergarten is a really nice wood in the middle of Berlin which has many gardens and monuments/memorials, including those listed and the Reichstag surrounding it. Tomorrow we will jam in Tempelhof (old airport park), Hitler's bunker, Holocoaust Memorial (by Tiergarten as we'll but forget to go there earlier), Charlottenberg Palace gardens, 1936 Olympic Stadium, KDV Galerie, the Reminding Church, and a coin shop. I want to buy some West Marks and East Marks. Also we must pick up groceries to cook for our host mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment